Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Low Carb Pumpkin Pie



I really wanted pumpkin pie this week. So I was trying to find a good recipe for my low carb lifestyle. I started with this recipe here Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Soy Free Pumpkin Pie and made my low carb twists to it.

In place of the 1/2 c brown sugar I used 1/2 c coconut sugar. In the place of the white sugar I used Xylitol . In place of the coconut milk (I realized when baking I had the thin coconut milk, not the thick) so I subbed in a tub of the Philadelphia Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese (A tiny cheat). That stuff is crack. I also just threw in 3 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice instead of the individual ones. (I would use 4 next time, I really like those flavors.)

Verdict: It was a little hard to get out of the pie tin, the almond meal crust kind of stuck to the bottom, and it crumbled a bit when trying to plate it, but the flavor was great, subtle and sweet. I would probably add a bit more sweetener to the crust since it was very nutty and not very sweet. But you live and you learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment